Assurance of Salvation

This afternoon, my wife and I were supposed to have the VanderSchels over for lunch, and then Izaac VanderSchel was going to preach the evening service. (Izaac is the Program Director at Peniel Bible Camp during the summer and teaches at Fayette Christian School during the year.) However, they all came down with the flu overnight and couldn't make it.

So, I went to church this afternoon and worked on message number three in my series, Assurance of Salvation. It was originally scheduled for August 28th, but I had been working ahead (because we are planning on going to Mexico for a week and a half this month). I was able to get it together and went ahead and preached that in the evening service.

I argued that assurance of salvation can be gained objectively by believing the promises of God found in Scripture and subjectively by persevering in good works. In other words, the Word of God is clear that God will not lose anyone whom he has saved. As we demonstrate (by "working out") that God is working in us (Phil 2:12-13), we gain assurance that we are one of God's own. This is manifestly clear in the book of 1 John, where John presents tests of eternal life, tests that help us answer the question, "How do I know that I'm saved?" John is abundantly clear that eternal life must give evidence both in one's belief and in his behavior.

You can download the handout that was passed out in the evening service.

Comments