What Would Jesus Drink?

WWJD? It’s hard to say for sure, but I would have to guess that it would be Mountain Dew.

Mountain Dew was hands-down my favorite soft drink when I was a teenager (are there any teens who don’t like Mountain Dew?). I’m not sure if I liked it because of its taste or because adults looked down on it.

During college, I worked at a camp during the summer months. Sometimes I had to get up early and clean bathrooms and things. Nothing gets you going like a Mountain Dew at 6:00 in the morning! People used to frown on that. My standard response was, "Some of us like our caffeine and sugar hot, and others like it cold."

When I was in seminary, a can of Mountain Dew brought me back to life at the mid-morning break of classes. It was especially helpful when I had to work late the night before out at the airport. Come to think of it, Mountain Dew was by far the best-selling drink in the student lounge.

I like Code Red, enjoyed the Pitch Black, and tolerate Live Wire. I think I would rather not try MDX, the new Mountain Dew energy drink. I haven't tried Baja Blast yet, but that's because my wife refuses to go to Taco Bell. As I get older, perhaps I should be drinking the caffeine-free version, but then what would be the point?

I have always defended the responsible drinking of Mountain Dew on the basis of Psalm 133:

Behold, how good and pleasant it is
when brothers dwell in unity!
It is like the precious oil on the head,
running down on the beard,
on the beard of Aaron,
running down on the collar of his robes!
It is like the dew of Hermon,
which falls on the mountains of Zion!

For there the LORD has commanded the blessing,
life forevermore.

Comments

Mark Perry said…
Dan, DIET Mountain Dew is like a non-separatist Fundamentalist. ;-)
Unknown said…
I feel an article brewing.
uc said…
Mt.Dew is the only pop that still tastes good lukewarm.

from
miker
Frank Sansone said…
I like Diet Mt. Dew Code Red. It is the best tasting diet it drink I have found anywhere (and for a guy who likes to point out that the first three letters of diet are d-i-e, that is saying something). Unfortunately, the local Pepsi bottler down here on the Eastern Shore does not do Diet Code Red.