Do Not I Love Thee?

Do not I love thee, O my Lord? Behold my heart and see
And turn each cursed idol out that dares to rival thee.

Do not I love thee from my soul? Then let me nothing love
Dead be my heart to every joy when Jesus can not move.

Within the darkness of this heart other gods would vie for my affection
But thou art exalted, but thou art exalted, thou are exalted far above all gods!

Let nothing keep me from thy love.

Thou know'st I love Thee, dearest Lord, but O, I long to soar
Far from the sphere of mortal joys and learn to love Thee more!

—Philip Doddridge (1702–1751)

Comments

Mark Perry said…
Fear not, gentle reader: Philip Doddridge was a contemporary of Isaac Watts, so you can enjoy this hymn text without worrying about whether it might be a gospel song.
Scott Aniol said…
Great expression of religious affection, Mark. Thanks for this.

Of course, there's always "Grace 'Tis a Charming Sound" that Doddridge wrote, but Sankey mangled with his universalist chorus! :)
Mark Perry said…
This hymn dovetailed nicely with a message I preached yesterday evening from Psalm 51. When we attempt to worship God without God's forgiveness, our worship is empty and false, because our sin is more dear to us than our God. And how many other gods vie for our affection!

Scott, you made me smile with your "great expression of religious affection" remark. I can just picture people in your church coming up to you after a choir number or solo and saying, "That was a real blessing" or "That song really spoke to me" or something like that. I can just see you wincing and cringing and consoling yourself, "What they mean is that it was a 'great expression of religious affection.'" Or maybe you have already eradicated those kinds of remarks.

At any rate, I can sympathize because I avoid many imprecise "idioms" that we permit in fundamentalism. Don't get me started.

Blasted Sankey, messing up a good hymn! A vile pox on those guys! :-)
Scott Aniol said…
Oh, yeah. We're adjusting our language to be precise at our church! :)
Scott Aniol said…
No, I haven't, Todd. I'll have to look for that.