What's in a name?

Well, I've decided after six months of reading blogs to finally start my own. I have been very hesitant to do any online writing for at least three reasons.
  • First, a good deal of what I have observed online has fallen under the category of worthless speech. As I have tried to point out in the title of my blog, we are responsible as Christians to make every thought and word obedient to Jesus Christ (2 Cor 10:5). Additionally, we must give account of "every idle word" that comes out of our mouth (Matt 12:36). Frankly, that rather frightens me. I would rather err on the side of caution, realizing that "in the multitude of words there wanteth not sin" (Prov 10:19).
  • Second, I tend to be very cautious with the written word. If I want to avoid saying worthless (or even worse, sinful) thing with my mouth, I want to be even more careful about putting those things into writing. The exposure that a written communication can have is much father reaching--- not to mention the thought of writing something to which billions of people the world over have access!
  • Third, I like to read, reread, edit, and check anything before I put it out for public consumption. Many times I have thought about commenting on an article or forum, but if I were to take the time that I would like (need) to, the "moment" would be long gone by the time I finally posted.
However, there is at least one major factor that has influenced me to take the leap and begin publishing some thoughts on the internet. The prospect of being able to encourage and teach others outside of those with whom I have direct contact is exciting. I realize that as I attempt to expand my audience my responsibility increases (Jas 3:1).
My goals in writing here are threefold: I want to inform, to challenge, and to edify. Please feel free to comment on what you see here. I want to bring every thought captive and make every word "good for the use of edifying" (Eph 4:29).

Comments